I read Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry many years ago and loved it. His other novels, however, I believe I was not quite mature enough to enjoy. I checked out Tigana from the Cincinnati Public Library.Tigana, above all else, is a story exploring the concept of home and honor.
In a fictional peninsula shaped like a palm, and appropriately called The Palm, separated into 9 provinces ruled by Govenors. This fictional land owes much to historical Italy.
The Palm is invaded by two different powers: Ygrathians and Barbadiorians. Brandin of Ygrath invaded Tigana, the only province in The Palm ruled by a prince, and incidentally, a prince from a line born of a liason between a god and a mortal woman. Brandin's son is killed at the first battle of the Deisa. In response, Brandin stripped the land of Tigana of her name. Only native born Tiganans can hear, remember or say the name. In addition, the land has been renamed Lower Corte, because Corte was the ages-old enemy of Tigana. The royal family was killed, and the fabled towers of learning and light destroyed.
The novel is about a group of Tiganans trying to fight Alberico of Barbadior and Brandin of Ygrath. However, even though you know Brandin is the bad guy, he doesn't seem that bad. The characterization of the individuals is deep and detailed. You understand these people, and you can empathize on a deep level as they grow and learn and fail and love.
I really can't do this novel justice in any summary or description. It was, simply put, amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment